Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Sky's The Limit For This RV Design

This Airstream motor coach “SkyDeck” concept is nothing new. The old double-decker buses in England have had this idea going for years, but what is new is the idea of doubling the living space on a conventional type motorhome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that Airstream is no longer making this coach for individual RVing but will continue to make it for business use.The SkyDeck roof automatically opens-up to reveal a fabulous patio with comfortable seating for15, a built-in wet bar and barbecue and yacht umbrellas. There is a stairway from the inside which eats up some living space but this space does not go unused. They say that this entertainment platform only ads 10 inches of height to the standard coach. This really is a technological marvel considering the walls are “load bearing” and the roof has to be strengthened to accommodate the added weight. Also consider that you must have a water-tight hatch for the stairs. All this and keeping a low center of gravity adds up to a great deal of superb engineering. This is a great coach for NASCAR as you can sit on top of the rig and take it all in. How about other sporting events, rodeos, little league games and well, the sky’s the limit. Talk about a wild tail-gate party!

SkyDeck

This unit is built on a Freightliner XCR chasis with a 400 Cat engine. Airstream, always at home with innovation, has given us yet another idea rich with potential. I'm thinking that instead of an awning the roof could fold out doubling the top deck space and providing shade underneath. And why do the stairs have to be inside? Why not on the exterior like on the London buses? There is a lot of potential in this concept and it remains to be seen what other innovations can be achieved with this underused RV space.

Labels:

• AH, Where you been?? I saw this on travel channel a few yrs ago. WAY to much for my pocket book.!

By Anonymous Nancy, at April 21, 2007 3:20:00 AM PDT

• I think it's a terrible idea. In any crowded situation, it will only mean the 'takers' in our society get a nice view while those around them have blocked views.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 21, 2007 6:00:00 AM PDT

• I saw a similar roof top viewing area on a hauling trailer. I think it was meant for auto racers or fans at the track. It really made sense to view the track, or motocross, or whatever. I think RV Travel should have an issue devoted to these types of units. An internal stairway is not needed, an exterior ladder is fine and doesn't take up valuable interior space. I've also seen trailers with slide out back porches, which is also a neat idea, and doesn't add much cost to the unit.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 21, 2007 9:44:00 AM PDT

• Doesn't anybody remember the 'Titanic' on Trapper John, MD? They simply put lawn chairs and patio umbrellas up on an old Winnebago, and soaked the sun in.
    Strikes me as good use of the space.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 21, 2007 10:34:00 AM PDT

• AAH!!!!!!! Us rednecks have been doing this for years..........
    Kinda reminds me of the old school bus's at the nascar races years ago when i was a child. What goes around comes around. But they sure do look alot better, cost alot more too!!!!!!!

By Anonymous RaVen, at April 21, 2007 3:22:00 PM PDT

• I saw an RV recently with a one person outside elavator/platform that brought you to the top of the upper deck. No staicase needed.
    Don't remember the brand name.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 21, 2007 9:50:00 PM PDT

• We probably would see more of this concept if it were not for the "liability factor". If you build it yourself, you are responsible. If the manufacturer adds it as a design option, then they become liable if someone falls off. It's basically a "party deck", and we all know that some people like to over-doo and then blame everyone but themselves for the ensuing injuries. I myself think it's a great idea, but believe you will not see it commercially unless it can be closed in more securely.

By Anonymous DaveB, at April 22, 2007 8:39:00 AM PDT

• I was bringing back my new to me rv and passing thru Calif. saw 3 of these at the truck stop that I was at.
    Talked to the delivery drivers and they told me these rattled while going down the road and it could be heard even at 60 mph.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 25, 2007 7:35:00 PM PDT

• Can't have been that long ago, but there was a terrible incident involving one of these or something similar in Lawrence, Kansas at a KU/K-State football game. Someone had used one to host a pregame party and then transport the whole party to the game. People were allowed to stay up top while traveling to the stadium. The driver took the rig through an overpass that was tall enough to just let the rig pass through. Unfortunately, it was not tall enough to let it pass through with people standing/sitting up top. Two people had their heads smacked against the underside concrete of the overpass. One died. The other will never be the same. If you are gonna drive a big rig you MUST pay attention to length, width AND height of it and your cargo.
    Auntie Em