Friday, May 4, 2007

What Is That White Plastic Strip On The Metal Fins Inside My Refrigerator?

I never thought much about that little strip of plastic on the metal fins inside my refrigerator except when I tried to clean around it. It slides up and down on the fin and has a wire attached to it. Turns out this little guy is a temperature sensor. It tells your refrigerator to keep working or to relax for a while. Ben Lukacek is a Master Certified RV Technician at Best Buy RV’s and is doing the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) on our coach. He explained to me that if I want the refrigerator compartment to be cooler I can adjust the temperature by moving this plastic strip up on the metal fin. This way you are able to keep the temperature in your freezer constant while raising or lowering the temperature in your refrigerator compartment separately. Cool! Jim

Labels:

• Thanks Jim: Even after 22 years fulltime on the road I still learn from others. I have wondered what that plastic thing was for. Travel safe Peggi

By Blogger rvliving, at May 5, 2007 4:36:00 AM PDT

By Blogger rvliving, at May 5, 2007 4:37:00 AM PDT

• I just want to 'THANK YOU' for this information. We have owned RVs for years and I thought there 'had' to be a way to keep the temperature in the freezer constant while raising or lowering the temperature in the refrigerator compartment.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 5, 2007 6:04:00 AM PDT

• We had always had problems with frig frosting up. We have a side by side unit. Someone told us to move the sensor a couple of fins to the left. Guess what? No more frost actually acts as self defrosting frig, which it is not. We also moved sensor up on the third fin to make frig a bit cooler.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 5, 2007 7:12:00 AM PDT

• We've washed our refrigerator many times and never noticed the white strip. Thanks for the info.

By Anonymous BEARTRUCK, at May 5, 2007 7:34:00 AM PDT

• The little wonders of the world will never cease to amaze me. Who woulda thunk it? Thanks for the info. Our fridge is always frozing up and never seems to be as cold as we like.

By Blogger Roy, at May 5, 2007 8:24:00 AM PDT

• Sounds like a real useful tip.
    So how exactly do you work this plastic thingy?
    The way I understand it is that moving it keeps the freezer constant while raising/lowering the fridge temp- right?

So what does moving it to a different fin do.

Just trying to understand the theory OR do I have to learn by myself the hard way?

By Blogger Alex, at May 5, 2007 8:44:00 AM PDT

• What brand and modeldo you have? We have a Norcold and it doesn't have a plastic fin.

By Anonymous Susana, at May 5, 2007 12:31:00 PM PDT

By Anonymous Susana, at May 5, 2007 12:31:00 PM PDT

• I am not surprised if that is the Best Buy RV in Richmond, Indiana. They are the nicest people we have met.

By Anonymous Francis Dumont, at May 6, 2007 4:40:00 AM PDT

• Good tip. Has anyone taken their rig in for the Dometic "Recall"????

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2007 8:37:00 AM PDT

• I'm still waiting on parts for the Dometic Recall....what a joke!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2007 10:11:00 AM PDT

• Yes service man came and did Dometic recall service to my refrigerator last week. Put in more shields and thermoprotectors.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2007 4:14:00 PM PDT

• I asked the local Dometic dealer to order the parts in late March. The repair kit arrived in early April and the installation took only about 20 minutes.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2007 4:26:00 PM PDT

• I took my unit to camping world the fix took about 30 mjn.I called frist to see if they had a kit on hand

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2007 8:43:00 PM PDT

• I took mine in for the Dometic recall. took about 2 hours at the BEST RV repair place ever - Tom's RV in Albuquerque, NM. What took so long was teh test to make sure all wsa ok.

Cheers

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 7, 2007 6:02:00 PM PDT

• Jim After I made my first comment I couldn't find the stip on our Norcold. Our previous motorhomes had Dometic fridges. Guess what just like previous comments our Norclod does not have this adjustable plastic strip.

I asked our dealer about it and Norcold has a small metal 'clip' (for lack of a better word) on thea finn and it does not move. Thanks for the info anyway. Peggi (rvliving - RVing Canada Blog)

By Blogger rvliving, at May 11, 2007 6:27:00 PM PDT

• Looks like Norcold doesn't have this device. I would like to thank you all for your comments and your readership. I enjoy doing this and your thoughtful feedback is always appreciated. Jim

By Blogger Jim Twamley, at May 16, 2007 8:01:00 PM PDT