RVs in the News

Friday, March 09, 2007

Fleetwood to build RVs in Mexico

Fleetwood Enterprises Inc. will begin production in May in the border town of Mexicali, Mexico of two of its travel trailers sold in the Southwest. Fleetwood becomes the first U.S. company to make RVs in Mexico.

Assembly of two RV models -- Pioneer and Mallard -- will begin in an 80,000 square-foot leased facility with about 150 employees, Lyle Larkin, Fleetwood's vice president and treasurer told the Riverside Press-Telegram. "This will allow us to do one of two things, and maybe both: Price them more competitively or provide ourselves with a higher margin," Larkin said. Fleetwood reportedly pays full-time employees at its Southern California facility about $20 an hour in wages and benefits, but will pay $4 an hour in Mexico.

The news comes six days after the company announced plans to close three of its nine U.S. travel-trailer factories, including a 35-year-old plant in Rialto, Calif., with 429 employees.

According to the Press Telegram, Fleetwood has struggled since 2001 and has admitted to several strategic errors that resulted in losses totaling more than $728.8 million between 2001 and 2006.

• I'm sure this news will make the employees from the Longview, TX plant happy. This is one of the plants Fleetwood closed.

I guess the bottom line is money in the company's pocket.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 AM, March 10, 2007

• This is exactly why our economy is having a tough time of it. It's either send our American jobs overseas or to Mexico.

I, for one, will go out of my way to NOT purchase these products. Shame on Fleetwood. KEEP AMERICA STRONG. BUY AMERICAN.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:32 AM, March 10, 2007

• Why dont we let the Mexicans buy them and reserve our money to An American product.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 AM, March 10, 2007

• Current Fleetwood product owners should write Fleetwood and threaten to boycott their products made in Mexico. Another case of "Executive Greed". Those jerks don't understand that if workers in the US don't make a decent living they can't afford to purchase such products. I wonder if they think Mexican's will be purchasing teir products...NOT!!

By Anonymous baronat1@aol.com, at 5:02 AM, March 10, 2007

• Fleetwood quality has been borderline. I can imagine what the quality will be now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 AM, March 10, 2007

• Thanks for the info. Now I know what trailer not to look at. Since they can't make them good at high wages, it follows that they will be worse at low wages.

By Anonymous Pete, at 5:46 AM, March 10, 2007

• It will be interesting to see if Fleetwood being able to pay $4 labor instead of $20 labor actually results in cheaper units. I have a hunch the comsumer will see little drop in price.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 AM, March 10, 2007

• All I can say is their quality was poor before, and you get what you pay for.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 AM, March 10, 2007

• Fleetwood road the wave and it finally caught up with them. Selling the "sizzle" like the American auto mfgs & turning out sub prime products. Mexico is just the beginning of the end for this giant. typical American concept "screw the consumer to make the share holder happy" but it always catches up with them. Will the American mfg. ever learn? Their is no replacment for quality!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:20 AM, March 10, 2007

• do you think they will pass on the labor savings? maybe in the ceo's pockets.

By Blogger ckw346, at 6:36 AM, March 10, 2007

• and just how many Mexicians do they think will be buying their products at $4.00 an hour. and just how many Americans will buy their products when the word spreads on where the rv's are produced.

By Anonymous L. Falcon, at 7:07 AM, March 10, 2007

• Just how many Mexicans are going to buy Fleetwood RV's and just how many Americans are going to buy Fleetwood RV's when word spreads on where these RV's are built.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 AM, March 10, 2007

• I say let the Mexicans build them, then buy them. Fleetwood puts their bottom line ahead of America, where they earned hundreds of millions of dollars from American workers who purchased their products.

Royal, Hemet, CA

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 AM, March 10, 2007

• Why not just hire the illeagle
    aliens that are in this country? Of course they would have to pay them $6:00 an hour to cover the taxes and pay their share of the social secuirty tax. This doesn't even go into the corp. taxes. I like my Fleetwood motorhome but I'm not against change.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 AM, March 10, 2007

• Good bye Fleetwood!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM, March 10, 2007

• Yada , Yada, Yada.. Buy American! Give me break! IF the unions had not driven salaries into goofy world we would not be faced with this. We put ourselves in this position and now you want to cry Buy American, under the guise of Patriotism? Bullroar! I want to keep America strong but I do not have to do it with my head in the sand. I am tired of inferior products at union inflated prices. We need major adjustments and it will take years to undo all the damage.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM, March 10, 2007

• Whats the difference? Dodge made the same move a few years ago. Should everone stop buying from Daimler-Chrysler too? Just a thought

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 AM, March 10, 2007

• Re the March 10 posting about Unions causing the plant closings. Where did this guy come from? Who said Fleetwood uses Union workers? I think he's been smoking the conservative weed too long. I agree that we should let the Mexicans buy Fleetwood. We've sacraficed enough jobs for the so called "World Economy".

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM, March 10, 2007

• I like tacos and i like rice but do not like it shoved down my throat the "farm" has been sold let's hold on to what we have left------ BUY AMERICAN -------

By Anonymous bob pelly, at 9:41 AM, March 10, 2007

• I am serving in the U.S. military on active duty and there is something patriotic about buying American. When purchasing future RV's I will definitely be asking where it is built before I decide on a unit. If it is built anywhere besides the U.S. I will not be buying it. Personally if it costs more to buy "American" then that is okay with me. One has to ask where does taking jobs from Americans stop?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 AM, March 10, 2007

• We are within six months of buying our first travel trailer, with intentions of going fulltime. We have narrowed it down to four choices, and a Fleetwood was one of those. I say "was" because this news eliminates them. I'm just glad this didn't out come six months later. Besides all the ethical problems (see above), there's no way the first two years of production could be any good.

By Blogger Calvin & Loretta, at 10:06 AM, March 10, 2007

• What are they thinking? If we want to make a statement, it should be that if companies send American jobs out of the country, then we should stop patronizing them. The immediate answer here is to STOP BUYING FLEETWOOD PRODUCTS NOW. RV'ers - BUY ONLY AMERICAN MADE - we did, and we're proud of it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 AM, March 10, 2007

• Shame on Fleetwood. I love my Bounder but I'll definitely think twice before buying a new one that's not supporting our USA people. I won't even use the self checkout lines at WalMart because I feel they put someone out of work.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM, March 10, 2007

• Well, there it is . . . you cannot lose 700 mil in a few years and expect to survive. We'll likely see more and more of this in the industry. Quality - I'm glad I don't need one of their trailers! I guess they figure - "The dealers can fix it!"

By Blogger Glen W. Gieg, at 11:33 AM, March 10, 2007

• The US would profit from International Economics being a required course in High School.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 PM, March 10, 2007

• I am Canehjun(canadian in our talk) and you can be rest assured I will not be upgrading to any fleetwood product.We have the same problem here with corporate moving to the south of N/America. Shame on Fleetwood!!!!

By Anonymous Tom, at 1:20 PM, March 10, 2007

• Fleetwood said it was their problem they had. So I guess laying off american workers and moving to Mexico and hiring Mexican workers will improve the Quality of their products and then sell them in the USA,Which inturn we won't be able to buy them due to we no longer have a job to pay for them.If you do buy one of their units. you will probably need a passport to have it serviced.(This is a company on its way out)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM, March 10, 2007

• buy american made check you labels japan & company Chile fruit european footware sure buy american made

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 PM, March 10, 2007

• Shame on Fleetwood!!! I'm wondering how much the CEO and other top execs made in 2006!!

Quality?????????

Anonymous

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 PM, March 10, 2007

• Before I retired, I worked for a company that had moved some of their plants to Mexico. I remember some trailer trucks coming in from Mexico, everything on 4 trucks had to be written off. Couldn't even be fixed. This happend many many times. They sent a lot of equipment down there and the product was coming back dirty, assembled wrong, other things too numerous to mention. They tried to get some of the machinery back and Mexico wouldn't give it up.

This in one product I won't buy! EVER!
    Of course Fleetwood has not been turning out great trailers for some time.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:56 PM, March 10, 2007

• The one I have will most likely be my last FLEETWOOD I own. If they can't make it in AMERICA it won,t be in my driveway.There are many areas in the US that could use the employment, and many towns willing to work with a company trying to increase their profit.GOOD LUCK FLEETWOOD!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM, March 10, 2007

• The U.S. is becoming nothing but an empy shell. I have a
    Fleetwood motorhome and it has been good and they have backed their product very well. I have started boycotting anything from Mexico. I have quite shopping at most store which has spanish signs i.e. Home Depot, Auto Zone and Lowes. As far as I am concern they are just encouraging illegal. Sorry Fleetwood- Goodby- I hope everyone says Goodby. P.S. Some of Dodge products are still made in U.S.A. anyway in 2005.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:32 PM, March 10, 2007

• Fleetwood should consider getting rid of upper management and executives in their organization.....then hire Mexicans for $30,000 a year. Now THAT would bolster their bottom line!!!

RV'ers should show Fleetwood the same loyalty as the company shows to its employees...ZERO

Buy a Fleetwood product....NEVER !

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 PM, March 10, 2007

• Never have liked Fleetwood products for some unknown reason, but made in Mexico will be at the top of the list. Almost as bad as the outfit that is talking about importing Class A coachs made in China.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 AM, March 11, 2007

• Thank God I saw this. I am looking at three brands for my new trailer and FLEETWOOD is OUT. I am sure they are betting we forget in time like so many have done with the cars. By the way to the moron who spouted off on the unions, do you really think this is why Fleetwood had the 700 million dollar problem or was is poor management? 20 bucks an hour that includes benefits is not very high in CA.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 PM, March 11, 2007

• I don't blame Fleetwood for reducing their business in California. California has taxed and regulated to the point that it is too expensive and too aggravating to do business there. I predict more and more businesses will leave there, and then California will be trying to get the Federal Government (i.e.all of us)to finance their excesses. Even if Fleetwood is not unionized they are paying high taxes to support the inflated salaries, benefits and cushy early retirements for the public employee unions in California.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM, March 11, 2007

• I've owned my LAST Fleetwood or anything built by them.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:52 PM, March 11, 2007

• I havn't seen even a quality name american coach that wasn't trouble.I know, I own one. Can you imagine what this will be. JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:45 PM, March 11, 2007

• I like the last (or close to it) comment.
    How far up the ladder is Fleetwood going to go to replace people?
    Yes, by all means, reach into the CEO and CFO offices; and let's see how well the translated material that teaches these spanish-speaking (and spanish- reading) people will help them.

I do worry about all the things that we buy from outside the borders too. What do we build and do in the USA these days?
    Not everyone can work at a fast-food joint.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:23 PM, March 11, 2007

• Well Fleetwood was off my list of prefered manufacture before now as I have a 2000 Wilderness with quality problem showing up in last 2 years so I am not going to buy anything made by Fleetwood again anyway but with the move to Mexico this will insure me not buying anything from them or any manufacture moving assembly to Mexico. My next tow veicle may be a toyota since it is assembled in the USA.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:28 AM, March 12, 2007

• You can't fault Fleetwood for wanting to be profitable. But we can and should fault them for producing inferior products.

As a soon to be full-timer, there will never be a Fleetwood product in our driveway.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM, March 12, 2007

• I wonder if anyone here has purchased anything from Wal-Mart, lately? We all know where most of their goods come from. From what I hear, anyone working in a Chinese sweat shop would love to be making $4.00 an hour. Besides, in six months or so, people will forget all about this, and Fleetwood will be selling scads of those trailers, especially if another hurricane hits.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM, March 12, 2007

• IT'S NO DIFFERENT THAN WHEN FREIGHTLINER OF PORTLAND, OREGON PURCHASED AND THEN CLOSED WESTERN
    STAR TRUCKS OF KELOWNA BC CANADA. THEY PUT OVER 2,000 PEOPLE OUT OF WORK, TOOK A HI QUALITY CANADIAN
    BUILT PRODUCT AND HANDED IT OVER TO A PATHETIC AMERICAN FACTORY WITH NO QUALITY CONTROL AND POOR
    WORK ETHIC.

By Blogger ogopogo, at 1:26 PM, March 12, 2007

• Don't expect me to by a Pioneer or Mallard any time in the future. You build-em in Mexico, you can sell 'em in Mexico! There goes more American jobs. Don't bring them back across the border expecting me to buy one than charge higher prices!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM, March 12, 2007

• Did anybody even bother to read the article? A $728,000,000 loss is no small change. Fleetwood might save 4,500,000 a year from doing this. At that rate, they should make up the difference in, oh, 160 years. All of the jobs will be lost if they don't stop the red ink, NOW.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 PM, March 12, 2007

• I bought an 04 Wilderness that we thought was nice. Less than a year later it was falling apart at the seams. Roof came undone, slide out came undone, water leaked in everywhere and I had to fight tooth and nail to get anyone at Fleetwood to even listen to me much less fix it. Traded it in 06 had no choice.
    Let the Mexicans buy them. They most likely already had illegals building the darn things. Americans need to wake up and vote these incompetent politicians who refuse to listen to us out of office ASAP!! If possible I Always Buy American! If things keep going the way they are our Grandkids will be speaking Spanish and working for Peanuts for a Chinese company and living in one of these things.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 PM, March 13, 2007

• All of you spouting off about being American, yet you...yes you...what jeans, shirt are you wearing? Made in China? How about you there, eating stuff made elsewhere? While I don't agree with Fleetwood's decision to ship off their manufacturing, you...yes, I am pointing at you hypocrites...you choose to shop at Wal Mart. You insist on buying cheap imported stuff only to complain about stuff not made in America. You should have acted in protest the first time you bought that Chinese made wrench and now you're complaining and remember how proud you were of that purchase that it was cheap? And you know, when you go to the lot and you find an inexpensive trailer and you buy that Mexican made trailer because you got a good deal, think about all the other hypocritic ideas you had in the past. It ain't gonna make a difference with you hypocrites.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM, March 13, 2007

• I own a Fleetwood, but won't be replacing it with another from Mexico. My son-in-law worked for them in Rialto, Calif. They were not a Union Shop. The wages were in the $9.00 to $12.00 dollar range. The rest was taxes (FICA), holidays, vacations & etc.
    One Wal-mart tried to set up a made in USA section, but failed. They could only find 3 products for their new section.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 AM, March 14, 2007

• Link to CEO compensation

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:53 PM, March 14, 2007

• I encourage anyone out there to read "The World Is Flat" by Thomas Friedman if you find this news disturbing. I hate seeing jobs go to Mexico and there are two people to blame. American management AND the American consumer.

The reasons for this move is not merely corporate greed, although that's a BIG factor. My employer has moved production from California to Mexico and now to China. The cost of labor is MUCH lower. (and I mean the NET cost)

Before you wag your finger and say "shame shame" ... A Stanley tape measure is $20 (made in CT) an import is $5 ... be honest ... which one would YOU buy? My company (it's not Stanley) had to reduce costs to stay competitive so the American consumer will buy our product and buy our stock. The diver to corporate greed is the stockholder. If you have mutual funds in a 401k, do you know the corporate governess of the companies the fund holds? Do you make a point of avoiding Walmart and Target? Where do your shoes come from?

Finally (you boomers) remember when we knew all of the jobs were going to Japan? Today a Toyota Tundra is built in Texas with parts from MOSTLY American suppliers. A Ford F150 is built in Michigan with many parts from Mexico.
    So, who is the better citizen? Ford or Toyota.

YOU can make a change. Avoid buying products built in China or Mexico if you can (that includes mine)
    You can avoid shopping at Target, Walmart, etc ... and let those companies know. Vocalizing on these bords is cheap. You hit respond and type in a line or two. WORK at it.Write letters ( not e-mails) Tell these guys they just lost a sale ...

these people: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/63/63938/2006Report/fleetwood_2006/12.htm
    Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc. 3125 Myers Street Riverside, CA 92503

all of these people http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=502
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Bentonville, AR 72716

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 AM, March 15, 2007

• I will not even stop at a dealer that sells Fleetwood products no matter what other RV'S they sell.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 PM, March 15, 2007

• and the fact that their newly appointed CEO is making nearly 2 million dollars a year has nothing to do with it huh?!? I guess we should all just throw are arms up in the air and say o well it's a World Economy now. I'll bet you are driving an import and your wife is driving an import and you don't like hearing people voice their frustrations. Even if a Toyota is built in Kentucky with Japanese parts you can bet the profits are going back to Japan. Ever wonder why they haven't built a plant in Cleveland or Detroit? The Foreign car manufactures intentionally put their plants in very depressed rural areas to keep the pay low.
    The median household income of Wal-Mart shoppers is under $40,000. Wal-Mart, the most prodigious job-creator in the history of the private sector in this galaxy, has almost as many employees (1.3 million) as the U.S. military has uniformed personnel. A McKinsey company study concluded that Wal-Mart accounted for 13 percent of the nation's productivity gains in the second half of the 1990s, which probably made Wal-Mart about as important as the Federal Reserve in holding down inflation. By lowering consumer prices, Wal-Mart costs about 50 retail jobs among competitors for every 100 jobs Wal-Mart creates . Wal-Mart and its effects save shoppers more than $200 billion a year, dwarfing such government programs as food stamps ($28.6 billion) and the earned-income tax credit ($34.6 billion).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM, March 15, 2007

• Bye Bye Fleetwood hope those guys can afford to keep you in business by buying what they are making.I doubt sales will be good in the U.S.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:13 AM, March 17, 2007

• So $20 an hour is too much to pay an American worker? How much did the top management earn? And how much of a savings ($20 vs $4 an hour) will translate into savings on buying a Fleetwood product?Probably it go to pay themsleves a nice fat bonus on money they saved by laying off American workers and not earned by making a better product! I can tell you I will not buy any Fleetwood product.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:05 AM, March 17, 2007

• We can make a change in the USA by voting politicians who support NAFTA out of office and putting restrictions on lobbylist who pamper politicians for laws that benefit corporations. We need to take America back and elect officials who will represent the people of the USA. Take care of our citizens first, then if any money is left, we can contribute to the rest of the world.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 AM, March 17, 2007

• Where is Ross Perot when you need him?
    The giant sucking sound is deafening.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 AM, March 17, 2007

• A few years ago, I predicted that international borders would disappear in about 50 years. If you study the manufacturing industry, you see that those little lines in the sand really do not mean very much anymore. The only thing that must happen to bring about this change and this loss of borders is we must get rid of the bigots that hate on account of race or color or language.

If the American worker cannot compete on the international level, we WILL lose. It is not "cheap labor" or "low quality" is is the true cost of the finished good that is important. As long as the American (non-) worker can get government subsidies (Food stamps, Earned Income Credit, Unemployment, Medicaid,....) they will not rise to the challenge.

The Auto plants they are closing here in Michigan are paying over $60/hour and have NEVER won quality of the year awards in the auto industry. Of course, all our Michigan government wants to do about the loss of jobs is - you guessed it - add a new tax. So if you get your RV worked on in Michigan, it will cost you another 2%.

Look for my Tiffen on the Alaskan highway in May!!!!

By Anonymous SHvnDave, at 6:43 AM, March 17, 2007

• I try to buy things that are made in America whenever it is possible. I have never purchased a foreign car - even if they had a manufacturing plant in the US. And I would never purchase an RV made in another country - even if it is owned by an American company!

By Blogger Alice, at 8:07 AM, March 17, 2007

• From this day on I will never buy another Fleetwood product again

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:31 AM, March 17, 2007

• I found it ironic that the three employees interviewed for the story
    (http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories........PE_News_Local_D_fleetwood09.3e4fda3.html) that were losing there jobs to Mexicans
    were named "Melendez" "Hernandez" and "Martinez"!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:36 AM, March 17, 2007

• We have had a Fleetwood Cimmaron since 1988. We have not had any trouble with it at all. Zilch, zero,nada.
    Only when my husband would hit something with it.It was and still is beautiful and we wouldn't trade it for any fifthwheel or motor home on the road. We are cheapskates. We were going to trade up but were advised we had better than what was on the market.
    Americans have bought theirselves into this mess and now they don't have the money to buy themselves out. Maybe we could borrow some of the money that Bush is sending to Iraq.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 AM, March 17, 2007

• Almost everything we wear,T.V.s,vcr's,cameras,appliances
    cars,etc etc etc.All made in foreign countries. But I notice there are no naked people on the streets and how many 52" and bigger t.v.'s are there. How many people on the street without a cel
    phone stuck to their ear. Come on
    people. Depends on your priorities
    doesn't it?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 AM, March 17, 2007

• This is so ANTI-AMERICAN I have had a motorhome for nine years but I will NEVER buy Anything with the FLEETWOOD name on it in the future.

By Anonymous George Utley, at 9:51 AM, March 17, 2007

• Why is it any different manufacturing RV Trailers in Mexico then manufacturing Automobiles in Mexico.
    I recently cruised to Acapulco and while stopped at Ixtapa port for a day, I counted over 10,000 new Dodge and Volkswagon cars sitting there waiting to load on a ship and I am guessing they all come to the USA. I was suprised that the majority were Dodges because it is commonly known that VW manufactures there.
    Bebop

By Blogger Bill Forrest, at 11:07 AM, March 17, 2007

• We purchased our 1st (and last) Fleetwood Pace Arrow motorhome in Feb 2005....it was built and completed in California on 12/29/04. We have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS FROM ALL THE SHODDY WORKMANSHIP. And while the company has repaired everything, the quality you expect in a Pace Arrow IS NOT THERE. We are trading up for a Tourmaster, MADE IN INDIANA, we have toured their plant. Fleetwood has sounded it's own death nell....too interested in corporate profits to care about the workers or consumers...BYE BYE FLEETWOOD....you have commited suicide with this brilliant move and it's one less company that will be around 2 years from now!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 AM, March 17, 2007

• looking at a fleetwood bounder and a winnebago voyage. bye bye bounder!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:24 PM, March 17, 2007

• Wasn't Fleetwood the company who got the big contract for the inferior FEMA trailers? They must have made a lot of money on those!

By Anonymous Margie, at 2:03 PM, March 17, 2007

• We just purchased an older Fleetwood a few months ago. Have been happy with it (so far), but I DO wish I'd known about this before then.... we would've looked and bought a different one!
    I agree 100% with the concept of another comment I read... if a company wants to save money be sending the jobs overseas and to Mexico, then Americans should boycott them, and let the Mexicans buy their products!

By Anonymous Riverhawk Jackson, at 2:34 PM, March 17, 2007

• There are some quality options for RVs built in the US. We bought our 10 year old New Horizons 5er last year and it is as good today as it was when built. The company stands by their product.

Junction City, Kansas may be a bit of a drive for a new custom built travel trailer or 5er, but considering what you get, even used, it is well worth the drive.

By Anonymous Carol Ann, at 3:00 PM, March 17, 2007

• SHAME SHAME on you Fleetwood.....How soon till other RV manufacturers follow suit....All they have to say is we need to stay competitive, so that makes moving production to Mexico just a part of doing business. I bet if you moved even further south say to Guatemala they could get even cheaper labor. Hey I should have been a financial officer for a RV manufacturer. I would have received a $500,000 bonus, stock options, warrants, annual incentive plan compensation increase just for making the move to lower my costs and pocket the difference.....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:46 PM, March 17, 2007

• We currently own our 3rd Terry RV by Fleetwood. This is definately our last Fleetwood and it is not based on quality fo past ownership of Terry RV, but by the moving of fleetwood to Mexico with some production.
    Ken and Jane
    Clovis NM

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 PM, March 17, 2007

• I am glad I read this I was planning on buying a Pioneer from a trailer show this weekend. Now I ruled Fleetwood out. Buy from where they are made. I guess there must be a lot of stock options coming due in a few years. Who cares about the $20.00 worker when you’re taken care of? What comes around goes around, Watch in a few years?
    No need to write just don’t buy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:59 PM, March 17, 2007

• While there may be job security with an employer making a profit there is absolutely none working for an employer that is losing money. The management has the responsibility to the shareholders to do what they can to ensure the survival of the company, not the survival of any particular plant or the jobs in that plant.

My Dodge truck was assembled in Mexico. No problems with it due to assembly. Doubt that the management that can't get quality from American workers will do any better with any other workers. When Toyota took over management of a former GM plant the quality improved to Toyota levels - same workers.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM, March 17, 2007

• Of course the bottom line is money. How many of you would start a company just to provide jobs to 150 people? Are you really that nice of a person? If your company started losing money because your overhead became too high, you would have to start cutting back on quality to try to balance your bottom line or raise your prices. This may be what has happened at Fleetwood over the years as costs rise. Most of you bought a Fleetwood because it was less expensive than a better made brand and it fit into your budget. Unless someone is standing in the parking lot of every Fleetwood RV dealer in the country explaining how they moved to Mexico and jobs were lost, buyers won't care; they'll still be looking at the price. I doubt that the quality will get any worse either because Mexicans are pretty darn hard workers and seem to appreciate there jobs more than many Americans do. It's almost immposible to buy an all American made product anymore and if you could find one, the research would be exhausting. There are just as many good paying jobs coming to America as there are jobs leaving. The only problem is if you want one of the new jobs you may have to pack up and move to where the job is. Our economy is solid and unemployment is the lowest in many years. I constantly see people at the restaurants, buying new cars, big screen LCD TV's, new homes, etc, so if there are not plenty of jobs around how are people managing to buy all these things? There are plenty of choices and price ranges for every product. Do your research, buy the best product you can afford and take your chances.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 PM, March 17, 2007

• It's such a shame americans are so uneducated or so know it all! So go ahead blame unions, not corporate mistakes. Blame Nafta when all politicians were for it even all the former Presidents. You have unemployed the american worker, by buying the cheapest product, not quality or american made. Just like the guy said no american cars have won quality awards, well he's wrong, they have.
    All the cars I've ever owned are american made and they all did what I needed them to do, and never let me down, but you have to do maintenance on your car just don't expect it to run forever. My lincoln town car I once owned had, more room, quieter, and looked better than any Lexus could ever be. Also toyota made in USA, some models only, most are only assembled here, the parts put into them, called domestic content, is not there as it is in the American big three. The American car companies still have more american workers than foreign companies will ever employ.
    By the way you want to boycott someone boycott Northwest, United, who sent all their 777 work to communist china, real quality work will be done there Im sure. There will be little if any FAA oversight as the Bush administration has let the number of inspectors decline. Now they track maintenance safety using computer models.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM, March 17, 2007

• I am a Canadian who owns a "US" built Fleetwood RV. I spend winters in Arizoa and almost everything I buy there is made in China.
    I see tremendous outflows of Americam money to Mexico through Mexican workers, support to needy countries, military spending, oil purchases, etc.

How can an economy continue to do this and remain strong? I have great empathy for the American worker.

By Blogger Roger, at 7:52 AM, March 18, 2007

• I agree that Fleetwood quality is marginal, and the company is beholden to its shareholders, not its customers. However, before you start trumpeting "Buy American", please take a moment to consider where most of the fuel for your 6 MPG rig comes from. (My apologies to ethanol and biodiesel users.) I am in the market for a FULLTIME trailer. Size? Under 20 feet. Fully loaded weight? Under 4500lb. Don't think it's possible? It is.

By Anonymous Meadowrock, at 9:34 AM, March 18, 2007

• Buy American Sure look at the label made in (?????)but materials made in U.S.A.or materials made in (????) and assembled in the U.S.A.. My "78" Ford Truck wheel hubs made in Mexico your new vehicle you drive made in U.S.A. parts to make that in other countrys. CAT Mining trucks there brakes made in Mexico the parts used to assemble them built in non union shops,but built by union labor.The UNION is not the problem with companys leaveing It is Greed by the big companys. The UNION fights for your working wrights something this younger generation KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT poor working conditions no breaks and in same places no running to the rest room or a sneak away for a smoke a boss hanging over you to produce. UNION WORKES HAVE MADE THIS COUNTRY STRONG. America say NO TO FLEETWOOD When you go to an Rv Show tell that yong couple with there four childern where that (low priced ) Rv was made and just maybe you might have saved a life.And Fleetwood is going to need people to deliver these units just say NO!to FLEETWOOD.
    Keep America Stong and Beautiful.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 AM, March 18, 2007

• I work for a well known boat motor company that has plants in Wisconson, Oklahoma, and Mexico amoung other places. Some of the products sent to Mexico had to be brought back to the USA because the mexican workforce could not perform the work like the Americans could. Just because the wages at these mexican plants are "good" doesn't keep the people there to work when it is time to harvest crops. It will be interesting to see what happens to Fleetwood. Too bad they can't find a way to keep their product where is should be.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM, March 18, 2007

• Fleetwood-old American word for "roof leaks" now also means "screw our employees,we are going to Mexico". Maybe if they had a few quality control folks in their $20.00 per hour jobs, Fleetwood wouldnt have the problems they have now. Maybe they can sell some of their stuff to Mexicans. fulltimerart

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 PM, March 18, 2007

• We purchased a Jayco last summer and are very happy with this Amish made fifth wheel. We just returned from the Gulf Coast where we volunteered helping hurricane victims for two months.
    I used to avoid anything not made in America; however, it is difficult to find most shoes, purses and many other products NOT made in China or another Asian country, or Mexico. The only way to avoid them now is to do without, and I do that whenever I can. I pay more for my SAS shoes, but they are made in America...and they fit!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 PM, March 18, 2007

• We own an 04 Fleetwood TT & love it, we don't always buy "American made" however, we do buy for quality. Our Prowler-Regal has been trouble free. We use it once a month, couldn't be happier. This move does not sound like a positive one for Fleetwood. I would not buy anything made in Mexico that travels down the road. The Ford Mustang tried it years ago & look what happened to that idea. Textiles & Tequila, perhaps! I will e-mail them also. I enjoy seeing this wonderful network of people joining together.

By Anonymous Kathy Cloninger, at 11:07 PM, March 18, 2007

• Shame on you Fleetwood!! we own a fleetwood and came to the realization that we will just have to deal with our window leaks and roof leaks (thank goodness my husband is an excellent handyman) but now knowing your quality will even be worse, we will look elsewhere for our next upgrade when we retire. Hopefully the mexicans can purchase your motorhomes and put up with there own shoddy workmanship.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 AM, March 20, 2007

• I wonder what the quality of Fleetwood will be at $4 per hour. We have a 32" bounder that was built in america with mutiple problems!! I wouldn't buy another!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM, March 20, 2007

• I can only say that VW, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Renault, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Seat, etc. etc. are building cars in mexico, that those cars are 90% exported to more than 50 countries, including USA. Also there are mexican companies that built critical parts that will be used on all of the above manufacturers, plus other cars manufacturers like BMW, Porsche, Fiat, Izuzu, Citroen, Mercedez-Benz, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, Rover, Mini, etc. Many of your cars are somehow "made" in Mexico. Also if the work of those mexican workers is as bad as many of you think, how come most of the world's auto industry is looking at Mexico as an option for building plants even above countries like China, India and Brasil? BTW the auto industry standars for quality are by far higher than those on the RV industry. I just can't wait for the Japanese to start building RV's, those will be for sure be very high quality made products, not the usual crap quality we can expect from an american made RV. Welcome to Global World Inc, where quality and total costs is the name of the game, a game that we haven't learn to play yet! And yes, you can start a fire on me because of my words, but you will be still going to buy more than 50% of your daily items, with products made somewhere else.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 PM, March 22, 2007

• Wrote an e-mail to Fleetwood letting them know that I was no longer looking into purchasing one of their trailers. This was sent in response.

Thank you very much for your email. We always appreciate receiving
    feedback from the valuable members of our RV community.

Our decision to open a Fleetwood travel trailer plant in Mexico was over
    two years in the making. Fleetwood is dedicated to making quality,
    value-packed products, and after much research, we decided that it would
    benefit both our customers and Fleetwood to build certain products in
    Mexico. We have found that over the past decade, perhaps due to Internet
    shopping, U.S. consumers are well-informed - and very price-oriented. We
    are fortunate to have acquired a highly educated team of Mexico-based
    managers, and a facility that lends itself well to a clean, efficient
    manufacturing environment.

We have been successful with our Canadian plant for many years. The bulk
    of our business is in the United States, and we still have 30 plants in
    the U.S., not counting our headquarters and our supply subsidiaries. We
    are very much a U.S. company, and proud to be so. We're also pleased
    that being a U.S. company means that we have a broad range of options
    available to us. The NAFTA agreement provides access to our neighbors in
    North America so that we can make the most efficient use of our
    resources, and in turn provide the very best value to our customers.

Heather Everett
    PR/Advertising Manager

By Anonymous Echo, at 11:26 AM, March 24, 2007

• I agree, I agree, I agree with the comments about the unions being mostly to blame for the jobs leaving this country. The comments about Walmart are right on, too. The story about Walmart was on a PBS channel and it was scary the power and control they have over not just us, but the citizens of China. And the unions aren't any better. The part about the greed is true, but let's include all the greedy people. The union leaders aren't living on the poor side of town and their salaries are coming directly off the sweat of the workers they are supposed to be fighting for. This is a topic that is going to be beat to death and then disappear. I DO want to say that we have a Bounder and we have had nothing but serious problems with the quality of it. Trannys, manifolds and on and on, so these unions fought for the higher wages for their "people" and the quality just got worse and worse. All the while, we pay more for these inferior products to pay for the wages that the unions fought for. Something wrong with this picture. We love our country, but we all have to take responsibility for what is happening now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 PM, March 25, 2007

• I'm a current Fleetwood employee (assembly line. although I won't say where) and to be honest am thinking that all the plants are going to Mexico. My plant trained the Mexicali workers who said they were getting $4 dollars an hour ( Fleetwood pays us between 11 and 14). So I think its just outsourcing. And I understand while people are wanting to boycott Fleetwood just remember there are a few American plants left. Also, about the roof leaks. That is in part to the whole "quantity not quality" statement I had seen earlier. Anyway I'm already training for a new job as I think mine is in jeopardy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:20 AM, March 26, 2007

• What a bunch of crybabies! Relax, the company is doing what it has to to stay alive. If you were honest with yourselves you know darn well that you would do the exact same thing. If not you would eventually starve or worse. You might be forced to take little Johnny out of camp this summer. Grow up.

By Blogger Scott, at 8:44 PM, March 30, 2007

• After purchasing a new bounder and fighting with Fleetwood for 2 years to fix everything wrong, this may be a good thing. Can't get any worse here. Next time it won't be a Fleetwood product.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 PM, March 31, 2007

• I lke the comment from the incompetent fleetwood exec about crybabie and sending Johnie to day camp. Actually the American worker is worried about feeding little Johnie and the fleetwood execs soon will be too. Fleetwood now builds junk (trashing my own coach for resale, I will never be able to dump it now.)

Will the new coaches be decorated with pinatas, felt paintings of Elis, and bullhorns on the grill.

What will the Mordida be on each coach to get it back across the border to the US. I guess that will not be problem no one will buy them anyway.

Newmar next time.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 AM, April 01, 2007

• I have worked for Winnebago for 34 years. They learned from their mistake. During the early 1980's they opened a plant in Mexico and shut it down in a very short time due to quality and everything came across the border dirty.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:26 PM, April 20, 2007

• YADA YADA should have done their research. There IS NOT nor has there ever been a union at the Fleetwood plant located in Campellsville, KY. Fleetwood just made the annoucement at our plant this week they were going to Mexico. The average pay here was $11.00 per hour and it is very hard labor. So before you go running your mouth about something that you know NOTHING about, do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 PM, May 05, 2007

• American or Racist? Check the labels on your clothes... how many made in the USA? Now check TV, all electronics!!! While at it, everything in your House. Please this is not new, in order to be competitive you need to reduce costs. If you had a multi million dollar company what would you do to survive? Fleetwood did the right thing to survive.

C.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:31 PM, June 01, 2007

• I worked in the Longview, TX plant until it closed in early May. Working in the service department, I saw a great many customers (and dealers!) who were unhappy with the move Fleetwood was making. I could not blame them, after all, if they wanted factory service they were about to have to travel a great deal farther than they had to before. We DID have quality issues, but I believe with proper management these issues could have been resolved. We were not ever union at our plant. I do not consider myself a "crybaby," as one of the bloggers so eloquently put it, but I saw Fleetwood from the inside, and I know that there were other ways to solve the problem, if it had not been allowed to go so far. I, for one, will be sure to check the fed tags if I should ever consider buying a travel trailer, and if it says "Fleetwood Travel Trailers of Mexico", I think I'll pass.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:14 PM, June 20, 2007

• We have a Fleetwood poineer,Built in Linsay Ontario, Canadian made and damm proud of it!!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:47 PM, November 28, 2007