LED bulb replacement dangers

  Replacing tungsten and halogen bulbs with modern LED bulbs is becoming popular with many RV owners since it reduces the power load. However, you have to be careful that you’re installing LED replacement bulbs into DC powered fixtures, and NOT AC powered fixtures. Recently, editor Chuck Woodbury has been receiving letters from RVtravel.com readers about replacement LED bulbs overheating... Read More

National Parks to get millions for maintenance

  By Russ and Tiña De Maris Recognizing that U.S. National Parks are in need of an injection of cash to handle deferred maintenance backlogs, it was of interest that Ryan Zinke, U.S. Secretary of the Interior, appeared before the press to announce funding to help cover the backlogs.  Zinke made the reveal July 22, using Colorado’s Rocky Mountain National... Read More

RV through the parks that built America

  As the weather gets cooler and daytime exploring becomes possible, point your RV’s GPS towards some of America’s lesser-known national parks, the ones that tell a story of what it means to be “made in America.” There is nothing more special than America’s national parks. Each of the 417 national parks tells a story of America’s history, innovation, ingenuity,... Read More

RV Mods: Improve your fire escape-ability

  By Russ and Tiña De Maris Steve Barnes, a regular RVtravel.com reader, took to heart one of our RV safety videos that stressed the importance of regularly checking your RV’s egress windows – fire escapes. Steve reports, “I checked my fire escape after one year. A year ago, when it was brand-new, it was jammed.” Steve took it back... Read More

Can gray water be dumped into a pit toilet?

  Here’s a question from a reader of RVtravel.com about boondocking.  Hi Bob, Is dumping sewage and grey water into pit toilets permissible? Thanks. —Jim E. Hi Jim, This is another hard question on the hard topic of dumping waste water. The question is so hard that officials can’t even decide on a uniform definition of what gray, black, sewage, and... Read More

Electrical safety near water inside home or RV — Important!

  Texas teen electrocuted after cell phone accidentally falls in bathtub  I just saw this on one of my forums about electrical safety around water and thought I would share it here… —Mike LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A 14-year-old girl from Lubbock died early Sunday morning after being electrocuted in a bathtub. Madison Coe’s mother and grandmother tell... Read More