Is surge protector’s reading sufficient to be safe from “hot skin”?

  RV Electricity with Mike Sokol Dear Mike, Thank you so much for your discussion of “hot skin.” I recently got a shock touching my small trailer and found out I had a bad extension cord. A question: I use a surge protector between shore power and my trailer. The protector claims to detect lack of power, reversed polarity, open... Read More

Reader asks if new 50-amp outlet is wired correctly

  RV Electricity with Mike Sokol Dear Mike, I have a 50 amp outlet I had put in, and from either hot to the neutral it reads 120 volts, but measuring between both hots it reads 240 volts. Is this outlet wired correctly? —Craig Dear Craig, Yes, that’s correct. Most consumers don’t realize that we have 240 volts coming into... Read More

Kidde recalls 5 million combination smoke/CO alarms

  From United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, November 10, 2016: Approximately 5.1 million Kidde NightHawk combination smoke/carbon monoxide (CO) alarms sold in the U.S. and Canada are being recalled. The alarm can fail to continue to chirp when it reaches its seven year end of life if the batteries are replaced, leading consumers to believe it is still working.... Read More

Prevent dangerous RV “hot skin” condition

  RV Electricity with Mike Sokol Dear Mike, We recently purchased a pop-up camper. We set it up in the driveway to check things out. My daughter got a shock when she was standing on the grass and touched the camper door. I checked it out and realized that the extension cord had a bad ground wire. I hooked up... Read More