Is surge protector’s reading sufficient to be safe from “hot skin”?

  RV Electricity with Mike Sokol Dear Mike, Thank you so much for your discussion of “hot skin.” I recently got a shock touching my small trailer and found out I had a bad extension cord. A question: I use a surge protector between shore power and my trailer. The protector claims to detect lack of power, reversed polarity, open... Read More

Reader asks if new 50-amp outlet is wired correctly

  RV Electricity with Mike Sokol Dear Mike, I have a 50 amp outlet I had put in, and from either hot to the neutral it reads 120 volts, but measuring between both hots it reads 240 volts. Is this outlet wired correctly? —Craig Dear Craig, Yes, that’s correct. Most consumers don’t realize that we have 240 volts coming into... Read More

Prevent dangerous RV “hot skin” condition

  RV Electricity with Mike Sokol Dear Mike, We recently purchased a pop-up camper. We set it up in the driveway to check things out. My daughter got a shock when she was standing on the grass and touched the camper door. I checked it out and realized that the extension cord had a bad ground wire. I hooked up... Read More

How touching your RV could shock or even kill you

  By Chuck Woodbury, editor, RVtravel.com Please watch the short video below by Mike Sokol. Watching it could save your life one day! You may be familiar with Mike from his series on RV electric safety, The No Shock Zone. I highly recommend you read it, start to finish. Mike has now embarked on a video series of the same... Read More

No Shock Zone: Part Three: Testing campground outlets

  By Mike Sokol A July, 2010 survey in RVtravel.com revealed that 21 percent of RVers who responded had been shocked by their RV. Review the survey results at www.noshockzone.org/15. What follows is the third segment of a 12-part series about basic electricity for RV users and how to protect yourself and your family from shocks and possible electrocution. This... Read More