Campground power pedestal failures (Reader Poll included)

  My column last week on open pedestal grounds (Campsite power pedestal safety: “open ground” danger) must have caused quite a stir with our readers since my inbox has received a bunch of questions and stories about similar incidents around the country. Here’s just one of them: “For the first time in a year of full-timing my EMS protector gave... Read More

The readers write — with power!

  Edited by Russ and Tiña De Maris Electric pedestal fears not groundless Mike Sokol, RVtravel.com’s resident electrical safety expert, had sent a response to an RVer concerned about a missing ground on an RV park power pedestal. This energized a number of readers to write their own comments, a portion of which we present: Tommy Molnar wondered about theft... Read More

Watch out for bears, Washington officials warn

Washington state officials are telling campers not to fear bears they may encounter in the wild, but to be aware. According to the Yakima Herald, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife estimates roughly 25,000 to 30,000 black bears live in Washington, often roaming the same areas of the Cascades as hikers or other outdoor enthusiasts. Black bears are smaller... Read More

Campsite power pedestal safety: “open ground” danger

  I just received this email from one of my readers who happens to be a Progressive Industries Surge Protector owner. I’ll explain why this situation is so dangerous after his email. Mike, Yesterday we arrived at a Corps of Engineers campground in Florida and after connecting our 50-amp power cable with a Progressive Industries Surge Protector, we had the... Read More

LED bulb replacement dangers

  Replacing tungsten and halogen bulbs with modern LED bulbs is becoming popular with many RV owners since it reduces the power load. However, you have to be careful that you’re installing LED replacement bulbs into DC powered fixtures, and NOT AC powered fixtures. Recently, editor Chuck Woodbury has been receiving letters from RVtravel.com readers about replacement LED bulbs overheating... Read More

RV Mods: Improve your fire escape-ability

  By Russ and Tiña De Maris Steve Barnes, a regular RVtravel.com reader, took to heart one of our RV safety videos that stressed the importance of regularly checking your RV’s egress windows – fire escapes. Steve reports, “I checked my fire escape after one year. A year ago, when it was brand-new, it was jammed.” Steve took it back... Read More

Electrical safety near water inside home or RV — Important!

  Texas teen electrocuted after cell phone accidentally falls in bathtub  I just saw this on one of my forums about electrical safety around water and thought I would share it here… —Mike LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A 14-year-old girl from Lubbock died early Sunday morning after being electrocuted in a bathtub. Madison Coe’s mother and grandmother tell... Read More

Using a generator to power a trailer with GFCI outlets

  Hello Mike, I have a new mobile food trailer with GFCI outlets that is powered by a new Honda EU7000is generator. The last part of my permit process was passing electrical inspection, which I failed. The inspector said the electric problem is the outlets in the trailer having reverse polarity. He used one of these (right) to test the... Read More