Propane leak tests — Here’s one from the Darwin Awards!

  By Russ and Tiña De Maris Here’s another reminder from the Darwin Award files. A 79-year-old RVer in St. Amant, La., had a problem with his motorhome. Somewhere there was a gas leak, and he just needed to find it. You know the rest of the story — take out a cigarette lighter, strike off a flame, and KABOOM! While... Read More

Full-time RVing — How safe is it out there?

  By Russ and Tiña De Maris Some contemplating a full-time life on the road are a bit concerned about safety. They read about crimes and wonder — how subject to the criminal element are folks in RVs? If you sit around the campfire, sooner or later there’s some sort of RV “crime story” bound to come up — but... Read More

DIY: Safe way to test the ground wire “bond” to the RV frame

  Dear Mike, You talk a lot about RV grounding and bonding, and I understand that the frame of the RV is supposed to be connected to the green ground wire. But exactly how is the ground wire connected to the RV frame and is there a definitive test for this? —Eddie Dear Eddie, Yes, you are correct that the... Read More

RV driving: Understanding grade signs

By Russ and Tiña De Maris If you’re new to RVing, or have spent your time in the Midwest flatlands, first hitting mountain country can be a bit of an eye-opener. Those yellow warning signs that talk about a “steep grade,” often accompanied by a percentage number, can be confusing. Road grades seem mysterious at first, but really are simple.... Read More

Can RV parking under power lines cause a dangerous ‘hot skin’ condition?

  Dear Mike, I’ve been reading about hot-skin voltages on your No-Shock-Zone site for a while and have come up with a really strange one. We unplugged from a campground and drove several hundred miles before pulling into a storage facility. But when I got out and knelt on the wet ground to check my tire pressure and touched the... Read More

Child dies from touching the family RV

  By Chuck Woodbury Chuck (at) RVtravel.com Please answer our poll below: Have you ever been shocked by touching an RV? (Voting is closed.) (UPDATE, MAY 12, 2017) — I wrote this article three years ago in response to the death of a 3-year-old boy, who was electrocuted by simply touching his family’s Airstream trailer. The trailer was experiencing what is known as a... Read More