Follow-up on LED bulb replacement dangers

  This week I’m going to circle back and continue the discussion about LED bulbs that were designed for CAN Bus use, and which overheat in an RV interior light application. But first, here’s a quick heads-up on the poll we took last week asking if you’ve ever encountered power at a campground that showed high or low voltage, or... Read More

Campground power pedestal failures (Reader Poll included)

  My column last week on open pedestal grounds (Campsite power pedestal safety: “open ground” danger) must have caused quite a stir with our readers since my inbox has received a bunch of questions and stories about similar incidents around the country. Here’s just one of them: “For the first time in a year of full-timing my EMS protector gave... Read More

Campsite power pedestal safety: “open ground” danger

  I just received this email from one of my readers who happens to be a Progressive Industries Surge Protector owner. I’ll explain why this situation is so dangerous after his email. Mike, Yesterday we arrived at a Corps of Engineers campground in Florida and after connecting our 50-amp power cable with a Progressive Industries Surge Protector, we had the... Read More

LED bulb replacement dangers

  Replacing tungsten and halogen bulbs with modern LED bulbs is becoming popular with many RV owners since it reduces the power load. However, you have to be careful that you’re installing LED replacement bulbs into DC powered fixtures, and NOT AC powered fixtures. Recently, editor Chuck Woodbury has been receiving letters from RVtravel.com readers about replacement LED bulbs overheating... Read More

Electrical safety near water inside home or RV — Important!

  Texas teen electrocuted after cell phone accidentally falls in bathtub  I just saw this on one of my forums about electrical safety around water and thought I would share it here… —Mike LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A 14-year-old girl from Lubbock died early Sunday morning after being electrocuted in a bathtub. Madison Coe’s mother and grandmother tell... Read More

Using a generator to power a trailer with GFCI outlets

  Hello Mike, I have a new mobile food trailer with GFCI outlets that is powered by a new Honda EU7000is generator. The last part of my permit process was passing electrical inspection, which I failed. The inspector said the electric problem is the outlets in the trailer having reverse polarity. He used one of these (right) to test the... Read More

Beware of Electric Shock Drowning — Critical information!

  You’ve most likely read my articles and watched my videos about RV hot-skin conditions. But for those of you who boat or swim around boat docks, there’s another dangerous shock condition that claims dozens of lives a year. It’s called Electric Shock Drowning (or ESD for short), and it occurs when a boat or dock is powered by an... Read More

RVer wonders if shock from RV is due to reversed polarity

  Hey Mike, I replaced the valve on my black water flush-out system today and noticed that when I touched any metal part of the frame of my trailer, I could feel an electrical current running through it! Not enough to really shock me, but certainly enough to cause some discomfort. It doesn’t matter where on the frame I touch,... Read More