You are here

Comments for Child dies from touching the family RV

  • We should also be aware that testers like the Fluke are measuring ALTERNATING CURRENT being radiated from the voltage source (A/C power). The sensor design is unable to detect a DIRECT CURRENT power source. Fortunately for most RVers, hopefully a moderate number of panels in series, or a bank of batteries would not be fatal if miswired or damaged. For those looking for an extra measure of protection, consider using a ground stake (metallic tent peg, etc) that is driven into the ground, with a wire between the stake and a metallic structure on your RV body or chassis.

  • While it’s true that a NCVT can’t detect DC voltages, there are typically no direct current power sources available at pedestals or home outlets to power an RV. The DC voltage you may be talking about is probably from solar panels on the RV itself. Those panels are generally 12 or 24 volts DC, which is far too low to cause a shock hazard. If that’s the case, it’s a closed system on the RV which is similar to an on-board generator, so no ground rod is required. However, if you’re running a high-voltage solar cell bank on a separate structure and feeding it to the RV somehow, then that system itself should be earth grounded.

  • This condition happened to me in 1980 at a campground in San Felipe ,MX. As I recall,the receptacle had onLy 2 slots and no ground wire slot.My pigtail had the 3 prongs so I put on a 2 prong adapter and filed down the larger prong to fit the receptacle on the pedestal.

    Result was hot skin on the trailer. A fellow camper told me to reverse the plug and the problem was solved.

    Obviously the wiring on the pedestal was faulty. Back then there were many places with bad wiring as I observed a man sawing ironwood in Keno Bay. Evidently the switch had gone bad and his solution was to cut one of the wires and form a hook on each end. To start the saw he hooked the two wires together and unhooked them to stop. Very unsafe but did the job of a switch!

  • Back in my early days of R V travels. I bought a converted mail truck that would shock me every time I opened the door. My fix was to put a large rubber mat at the front door. This worked well until I opened the door in the rain one day. I could not find the problem so I sold it before it killed me.
    Hope someone fixed it.

    • I get emails similar to this all the time. Finding and fixing hot-skin conditions should be really simple. But because electricity is so poorly understood by the public as well as many RV technicians, a lot of potentially dangerous situations go uncorrected.