RVing in the news, Aug 16, 2017

RVing in the news, Aug 16, 2017

RV burns to the ground in Texas
KBTX-TV
An RV burned to the ground in Round Top, Texas, Monday around noon. The Fayette County Sheriff’s office reported it received a 911 call about an RV fully engulfed in flames on Highway 237. They put the fire out quickly but the RV was a total loss. A nearby building and a well were also damaged in the blaze. No one was injured and authorities believe it was caused by a mechanical failure.

Shawnee National Forest adds campsites for eclipse visitors
WPSD
Crews began clearing brush to get campsites near Illinois’ Lake of Egypt ready for the August 21st solar eclipse. The site was once a campground but hasn’t seen campers in years. There are no picnic tables or grills, so officials are offering the campsites to eclipse viewers free of charge. It’s offered on a first-come, first-served, basis anyone looking for a spot should arrive early. 

Couple survives RV flip in Hunt County storm
NBC
The strong winds from a storm in Hunt County, Texas, flipped over an RV, trapping a couple inside. Within a half hour, a neighbor showed up with a flashlight while another called 911. The couple suffered minor bruises but made it out okay. The couple’s RV suffered the most damage and their car and landscaping were damaged as well. The pair expressed thanks to everyone who helped them at Sunset Resort.

Wish comes true for Oswego County boy diagnosed with cancer
Spectrum News
A three-year-old Oswego County, NY, boy diagnosed with cancer has his own brand new camper equipped with a queen-size bed, two double beds, a kitchen and a flat screen TV. The boy’s dream of going on a camping trip with his family finally came true Monday, when Make-A-Wish Central New York surprised Joey with the camper at Burdick’s RV Center in Cicero. The 3-year-old has been fighting neuroblastoma and was deemed cancer-free in January.

British love for stay-cations and caravanning increases
Out and About Live
According to data released by the National Caravan Council and VisitEngland, numbers of Brits caravanning in the UK for holidays has increased again in 2017. Between January and April 2017, Brits took 14.4 million stay-cations; a record, up by 3 percent from last year. VisitEngland said that British residents made 44.7 million holiday trips in England in 2016; percent higher than in 2015. Nearly a quarter of these holidays were taken in a caravan (travel trailer) or motorhome and many are using the mobile homes as alternative accommodation for other trips including to festivals, sporting events, or for visiting family.

Body found at Wabasha campground
Post Bulletin
A body of a 51-year-old woman was found inside a camper at a campground in rural Wabasha County, Minnesota. Authorities discovered the body around 5 p.m. Saturday at Whippoorwill Campground, located near the Zumbro River. Authorities performed a wellness check after no one had heard from the woman for days. The investigation is still ongoing. The death is not believed to be suspicious.

‘Most wanted’ Conn. fugitive found hiding at Granville campsite
Mass Live
Craig Powell, a 42-year-old fugitive was arrested Monday night when Granville, Massachusetts, police found him hiding out at a local campsite. Powell was arrested at the Prospect Mountain Campground on Route 57 and charged with being a fugitive from justice. Powell was wanted in Enfield for charges of larceny in the first degree and conspiracy to commit larceny, the Enfield police considered Powell one of their “most wanted” suspects. He was taken into custody without resistance

Improvements made at Meacham Lake Campground
Adirondack Almanack
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation announced improvements to the Meacham Lake Campground in the Adirondack town of Duane. Improvements include a new accessible boat launch, a parking area, and green infrastructure features. The improvements come under the State’s ‘Adventure NY’ initiative to connect more New Yorkers with nature. Meacham Lake Campground is the only development on the lake; providing campers with an open view of an undeveloped area and includes an activities area complete with Environmental Interpreters, volleyball, horseshoes, a kids’ playground and a bathing beach. All types of camping units can be accommodated, from small tents to large RVs.

More than one thousand acres burn in the Umpqua North Complex
The News Review
Last Wednesday’s lightning storms ignited 56 active fires across Umpqua National Forest in Oregon, where 1,410 acres continued to burn Monday morning. The Dry Creek communities and Horseshoe Bend Campground are under a Level 3 “Go” evacuation. Residents may relocate to the American Red Cross evacuation shelter at the Glide Seventh Day Adventist Church. Residents of Moore Hill Lane in Idleyld Park were upgraded to a Level 2 “Set” evacuation notice by the Douglas County Sheriff’s office due to significant wildfire danger in the area. Level 2 means residents must be prepared to leave at a moment’s notice. Residents should be aware of the danger that exists in their area and monitor emergency services websites and local media outlets for information.

New Chincoteague trolley service hits island’s hot spots
13 News Now
Fairfield Inn & Suites and the KOA campground on Virginia’s Chincoteague Island are helping guests get around stress-free with a new free trolley service. Initiated by KOA, the trolley service began as a way of bringing guests to and from the beach. Fairfield Inn & Suites us a sister property of the campground.= When school begins again, the trolley will switch to weekend-only hours. In the fall, guests can rent the trolley for special events

Boy and man suffer severe burns while trying to start a campfire
Idaho State Journal
A 10-year-old boy suffered serious second-degree burns on 30 to 40 percent of his body while he tried to start a campfire. The boy and his family were camping at the Monte Cristo Campground outside a small town near the Wyoming border on Saturday when the boy and a man were injured. The boy was burned after he spraying rubbing alcohol on the fire while a 46-year-old man suffered second-degree burns on the right side of his body. The boy was taken to a burn unit in a Salt Lake City hospital.

Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail

Related

Leave a Comment