Campground power pedestal testing, Part 2 (with Reader Poll)

  This is the follow-up article to my column from two weeks ago when I asked how many of you had measured electrical problems for your shore power. Here’s a link to the original article and survey.  As you can see, of the 813 readers who took the survey, 57% of them had encountered low or high voltage, reversed hot-neutral... Read More

Follow-up on LED bulb replacement dangers

  This week I’m going to circle back and continue the discussion about LED bulbs that were designed for CAN Bus use, and which overheat in an RV interior light application. But first, here’s a quick heads-up on the poll we took last week asking if you’ve ever encountered power at a campground that showed high or low voltage, or... Read More

Campground power pedestal failures (Reader Poll included)

  My column last week on open pedestal grounds (Campsite power pedestal safety: “open ground” danger) must have caused quite a stir with our readers since my inbox has received a bunch of questions and stories about similar incidents around the country. Here’s just one of them: “For the first time in a year of full-timing my EMS protector gave... Read More

Campsite power pedestal safety: “open ground” danger

  I just received this email from one of my readers who happens to be a Progressive Industries Surge Protector owner. I’ll explain why this situation is so dangerous after his email. Mike, Yesterday we arrived at a Corps of Engineers campground in Florida and after connecting our 50-amp power cable with a Progressive Industries Surge Protector, we had the... Read More

LED bulb replacement dangers

  Replacing tungsten and halogen bulbs with modern LED bulbs is becoming popular with many RV owners since it reduces the power load. However, you have to be careful that you’re installing LED replacement bulbs into DC powered fixtures, and NOT AC powered fixtures. Recently, editor Chuck Woodbury has been receiving letters from RVtravel.com readers about replacement LED bulbs overheating... Read More

Electrical safety near water inside home or RV — Important!

  Texas teen electrocuted after cell phone accidentally falls in bathtub  I just saw this on one of my forums about electrical safety around water and thought I would share it here… —Mike LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A 14-year-old girl from Lubbock died early Sunday morning after being electrocuted in a bathtub. Madison Coe’s mother and grandmother tell... Read More

Using a generator to power a trailer with GFCI outlets

  Hello Mike, I have a new mobile food trailer with GFCI outlets that is powered by a new Honda EU7000is generator. The last part of my permit process was passing electrical inspection, which I failed. The inspector said the electric problem is the outlets in the trailer having reverse polarity. He used one of these (right) to test the... Read More

Beware of Electric Shock Drowning — Critical information!

  You’ve most likely read my articles and watched my videos about RV hot-skin conditions. But for those of you who boat or swim around boat docks, there’s another dangerous shock condition that claims dozens of lives a year. It’s called Electric Shock Drowning (or ESD for short), and it occurs when a boat or dock is powered by an... Read More